Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Thrift Store Chair Redo!

Hey everyone! So, I thought I would share a project with you all :) I'm excited for my first one to show ya'll! This is a DIY project that my mom and I did the other day. My mom, sister and myself loaded up one morning, it was cold and rainy btw, and we went thrift store shopping / antiquing. ALL DAY! Yeah, that's how dedicated we are to DIY'ing :) We went to TWO Habitat Re-Stores, one in Decatur, Alabama and the other in Huntsville, Alabama. We had some lunch at Apple Lane Farms (if you have one near you, try it! It's so good!!) then we continued our thrifting / antiquing.  We went to Firehouse Antiques in Huntsville, Alabama and I must say, if you ever get the chance to go there, you will need almost a whole day just for that one place. It just KEPT GOING! and it even had an upstairs. There was soooo much stuff to look at I know we missed a lot. I did get two old windows from there for $4.00 a piece though. :) We also went to a thrift store for the humane society. Idk how we even managed to find it, but I'm so glad we did because that's where these chairs came from....


I know, I know! You're probably thinking, "seriously, what are you gonna do with those ugly things?" because honestly that's what I thought when my mom first showed them to me, but just wait til you see what we did! We actually got the inspiration for this from some we saw in Firehouse Antiques. I don't remember the price, but I'm sure they were over $50! We got really lucky when the next thrift store we went in had two matching chairs that would work perfect for the project! They were only $8.00 a piece. We then headed to Hobby Lobby, my most favorite store EVER btw! We got some fabric and tulle. We already had some batting at home and we got some spray paint from Walmart. Now it was time to get started... :)
We first spray painted the chairs. We didn't even sand them because we kinda like the old cracked look they have to them and the paint itself covered it really well.


Pretty right!?! Yeah, we couldv'e left them like this and they would've been cute too, but we didn't stop there. :) After they dried we brought them inside so we could add the fabric.

I picked some really cute owl fabric and then my mom picked some multi-colored fabric to match a room we did for the little girl I keep.

We did the purple one first and we just started with pulling the batting tightly around the seat of the chair and stapling it underneath. Then we did the same for the fabric.

Next, we took our tulle and we hot glued and stapled it all the way around the seat for a 'skirt' look.



And then we added some lime green ribbon type stuff around the top of the tulle to hide the glue and staples and I cut out the name 'Olivia' using my cricut and we mod podged it to the back of the chair.

 

Ta-Da! Adorable right? And it matches her room perfectly! Now for the other one....

For this one we actually took the curvy wood peices off (i'm not sure what there called??) but the things you see under the seat, to make it easier. Then we stapled the batting and owl fabric down just like we did on the other and replaced the wood peices. That is all we did for that one. It's simple, but cute!


Don't you think?? :)

Here's a picture of both finished chairs together....


I just love them and hopefully you do too! Thanks for stopping by!



2 comments:

  1. These are so cute! I love the colors...great job!
    tfs Cathie
    www.creativecutterroom.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! And thank you for being my 1st follower!! :)

      - Kara Fortenberry

      Delete